All children have the potential to succeed.

Legal Services for Youth

Legal services for youth are the core of our agency’s work and inform our outreach, trainings, and broader advocacy on behalf of youth.

TeamChild staff attorneys provide legal representation and advice to help youth assert their right to services that meet their basic needs. Our attorneys work directly with youth to identify their goals and create a plan to achieve those goals. For example, we help children get back into school, find safe and stable housing, get healthcare and mental health services, and access other public support.  Legal representation from TeamChild is effective in reducing juvenile court involvement and improving access to education, healthcare, and housing.

Read our brochure or these success stories to learn about the different issues we can help young people with. 

Who We Serve

TeamChild works with youth, generally between the ages of 12-18, who come from low-income families and are involved, or at risk of involvement, in the juvenile justice system. Some of the youth we serve are facing criminal charges. Some have already been convicted and are on diversion, probation, or parole. Other youth might have contact with juvenile court because of dependency matters (foster care), or because of a Child In Need of Services (CHINS), At Risk Youth (ARY), or truancy petition.

How To Get Help

TeamChild’s legal services are free. Since starting as a pilot project in 1995, TeamChild has received over 13,000 referrals and served close to 10,000 youth in Washington State.

Our resources are limited and at this time, TeamChild only serves youth living in King, Pierce, Spokane and Yakima counties.

Make a Referral

Anyone can make a request for TeamChild services. We accept referrals by:

  • Phone - call your local office directly
  • Fax and email - Fill out a referral form and fax or scan /email it to your local office

If you are unsure about whether to make a referral, we encourage you to contact any of our offices. If the youth and family need language or other assistance in communicating with our office, please clearly indicate these needs when making your referral.